Greenhouse & Floral Design

Within the diverse FFA community, greenhouse operation is a potential path that can be taken. The greenhouse, operated by the students and overseen by Mrs. Rippole, is able to provide a warm, dense environment where off-season plants are able to flourish. Students can learn how to take care of plants that thrive in a greenhouse environment in an in-depth environment and raise their own over the course of the year.

The floral design program arranges the flowers grown by the students, crafting beautiful bouquets to be presented and sold. The professional-quality arrangements can be displayed at parties, weddings- really any special occasion where flowers could be a fitting decoration.

A particular staple of the greenhouse is the poinsettia, grown every year around Christmas to sell to families and spruce up the holiday season. Its popularity around Christmastime mostly stems from its vibrant red color, though poinsettias come in a rainbow variety. They range in quality depending on height and leaf density. Christmas cacti are also sold to families, churches, and elementary students in order to raise money for the agriculture program.

The flower sales encourage collaboration between agricultural divisions that may not otherwise interact in a school setting, letting students with similar interests combine them in order to raise funds for a mutually beneficial goal. It requires discipline, teamwork, and a love for agriculture that not a lot of students have.

Greenhouse and Floral Design is a unique opportunity that few schools have to Derry’s extent. Those with interest in plants in any form may enjoy working with other ag students throughout the year to take advantage of this opportunity.