Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Meet Mr. Raymond

In October, Derry hired a new athletic director… and he’s ready to succeed.

In a recent change for Derry, we welcome a new athletic director, Mr. Nick Raymond, stepping into the role vacated by Mr. Miller, who returned to Seton Hill this fall. 

Bringing a wealth of sports experience, Mr. Raymond was a three-sport athlete, coached football for 12 years at Homer Center, where he won two District 6 championships, and served as an athletic director at Forest Hills High School for two years before joining our community.

Mr. Raymond didn’t just stumble into athletics, it’s in his blood.

“Personally, I have been interested in sports for as long as I can remember,” said Mr. Raymond. “My father’s influence, who served as an Athletic Director for 10 years and coached football for over 40 years, inspired me to pursue coaching and my goal of becoming an AD.”

After graduating from IUP, Mr. Raymond obtained the necessary certifications for his role, which emphasizes the value of coaching and gaining diverse experience in athletics, including facilities, grounds, and recreation, to understand the intricacies of running an athletic department.

“I chose IUP because of its well-regarded Sports Administration program, which was crucial for my career aspirations,” explained Mr. Raymond. “While there isn’t an official license required for an AD in Pennsylvania, having an undergraduate degree in Sports Administration and a master’s degree in Sport Management is advantageous.”

Despite his recent start, Mr. Raymond can already be found walking around the hallways during and after school. Because he this approachable, he is already familiar with the staff. 

“I feel great about the transition to DASD. Everyone has been welcoming and helpful, and I genuinely believe I will fit in very well,” said Mr. Raymond. 

When it comes to what his goal is here at Derry Area, he answered in one word.   

“The simple answer is success,” said Mr. Raymond. 

“Success may vary for each program or district, but I aim for our district and athletic programs to be successful.” 

We wish him luck in the new position.