Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

The Thin Line Between Fiction and Reality

A Cautionary Tale
Getty Images/iStockphoto
Boy standing on the opened giant book with fantasy light, digital art style, illustration painting

Escape into books, video games, and movies provides a break from reality, often featuring fantastical elements like mythical creatures, advanced tech, or supernatural events. 

The gap between fiction and reality exists because fiction is the product of imagination while reality is the actual state of things as they exist. 

Reading fiction constantly and never altering it with non-fiction books may leave you wishing you were living in the idealized world you are reading about. 

Simply reading fantasy books about worlds that are completely different from ours can engulf you in its fictitious universe. It can ultimately alter your perspective of the world we live in. It can lead to frustration, sadness, or even disappointment. It leads to dissatisfaction with the real world. 

Evidence shows that books and video games can influence perception. Some gamers, immersed in war-themed games, mistook real-life scenarios for in-game situations. Notably, Grand Theft Auto’s influence led individuals to replicate its actions, resulting in harm. 

The author Stephen King who commonly wrote horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, crime, science-fiction, and fantasy novels accidentally inspired a school hostage crisis with one of his books. Four shooters drew inspiration from the King Novel. 

This is to not be said that reading is bad for you or reading for pleasure is either. 

Overindulging in imagination can impact emotions, emphasizing the importance of staying grounded.