Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Earth, Wind, and Fire

Seniors Shine as Soloists in Spectacular Marching Band Show

When it comes to marching bands, the significance of soloists and drum majors cannot be overstated. These exceptional individuals stand out from the ensemble, leaving a lasting impression on the audience. In this year’s mesmerizing show, “Earth Wind and Fire,” we find outstanding soloists who have made an indelible mark on the music, including David Kerin on trombone, Abby Snyder on trumpet, Vincent Mastrorocco on saxophone, and Carter Schaffer on trumpet, who serves as Mastrorocco’s understudy. With the exception of Kerin, who is a junior, all of these talented musicians are seniors.

These extraordinary musicians have not only added an extra layer of talent to their respective sections but have also enchanted audiences with their musical prowess. Abby Snyder’s role as the drum major is equally vital, as she keeps everyone in sync with her co-drum major, Katie McChesney.

“I was overjoyed when I found out I was going to be a Drum Major alongside Katie McChesney,” said Snyder. “We improved so much, and that gradual improvement opened our eyes to what can be accomplished with dedicated effort.”

Having senior soloists and role models can positively influence younger band members, inspiring them to set and work toward their own goals. It’s a testament to the band program’s capacity to nurture and develop young talents that can leave a lasting impact on the audience and, hopefully, inspire future generations of musicians.

“I’m very grateful for the opportunity,” said junior soloist David Kerin.

Snyder, Mastrorocco, and Schaffer’s solo performances in the second song, “After the Love is Gone,” were truly remarkable, receiving praise from the audience, despite the nerve-wracking experience of performing a solo in front of large crowds.

“It was extremely exciting when I found out I got the solo, but then it hit me that I would have to perform alone in front of hundreds of people with my old and squeaky instrument,” explained Mastrorocco. “I’m nervous every time I go up to do my solo.”

Delivering a memorable solo, especially in a well-known and beloved song like “After the Love is Gone,” requires immense skill and talent. However, their contributions elevated the performance to new heights, creating a truly unforgettable experience for both the audience and the band.

“I was very nervous leading up to the solo, but when the time came, I calmed down and played it the best I could,” said Schaffer. Snyder added, “I was nervous every single week, and a few times, my nerves got the best of me, but those experiences were vital for my growth as a person and performer.”

The fact that these three senior soloists shone in the show is a reflection of their years of hard work and dedication to their craft. Senior year is a pivotal moment when they transition out of high school and move on to the next chapter of their lives.

“I’m not ready to leave,” said Schaffer.

Snyder expressed a similar sentiment, “The hardest part of a season ending is knowing those seniors won’t be there next year, and this year, I have to be the one to leave.”

Having seniors perform the solos not only demonstrates trust in their abilities and musicianship but also honors their commitment and contribution to the band program over the years. It sends a powerful message to younger band members that hard work can lead to such a crucial role in a performance.

“My favorite part of the show has to be my solo,” said Mastrorocco. “It’s the shining moment for me.”

As the seniors move on to the next phase of their lives, the success they achieved in the show is something they can look back on with pride and satisfaction. Although it was by chance that the talented soloists happened to be seniors, it sets a high standard for underclassmen to aspire to and underscores the importance of continued dedication to the program.

“I am really going to miss all the people and the environment,” said Snyder. “I worry I’ll never find another group as amazing as this.”

The success of the marching band doesn’t rest solely on the soloists; every member, from the drumline to the wind section, contributes something unique and valuable to the performance. It’s the collective effort and hard work of everyone involved that make a show successful. Like a family, the members take pride in each other’s accomplishments and encourage one another to improve. It’s this sense of support that makes marching band such a special experience for those involved.

“My favorite part was seeing everyone improve from the beginning of the season to the end,” said Band Director Mr. Matt Roble.

“They’re proud of their performance.”