Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Trojans Triumph in Thrilling Comeback

Derry Area Wins a Hard-Fought Victory over Yough Cougars
Colin Bush recovers a fumble for the Trojans in the 3rd quarter.
Kevin Liberoni

The Trojans faced a nerve-wracking game against the Yough Cougars on Friday, September 15th. After a challenging first half of football, they emerged in the second half with a fiery determination to win, 22-21. 

Ahmad Ward ignited the game with a kickoff return for a touchdown on the opening play.

The Trojans’ starting quarterback, Mason Beeman, said, “When Ahmad returned the kick, I was obviously excited. But I also knew the game wasn’t over, and there was still work to be done. So, the defense went out to make a stop and get the offense back on the field.”

However, Yough drove down the field on their first offensive possession and scored a touchdown. They missed the PAT, leaving the Trojans up 7-6.

“When Yough scored the touchdown, it was frustrating, but I stayed level-headed. It didn’t throw me off my game. If I let one touchdown get me down, it would be a long game. I had to focus on playing my game and going for the win,” said Beeman.

The halftime score was 7-12, and the Trojans felt frustrated by the point deficit. After a halftime speech from the coach, the boys came out ready to play and win the game.

“After we left the locker room, I was more focused,” explained Beeman. “I’m pretty sure the whole team thought it wouldn’t be an easy win at that point. We had to toughen up and play our best game, Derry football.”

Derry’s increased energy led to a promising second-half performance. Derry became more physical, and they moved the ball effectively.

“I think something clicked, and the team knew we had to win the game. We started playing with a chip on our shoulder, determined to do what was needed,” Beeman commented.

With slightly less than two minutes left, Derry ran the ball into the endzone for a touchdown, making the score 20-21. The only option was to go for two, and they converted, putting them ahead 22-21.

“When Damauri caught the ball for the two points, I was thrilled. But I knew Yough still had time to make a play. I made sure to play lockdown defense to prevent anything from getting past me,” Beeman explained.

Since Yough had little time left, they had no choice but to pass. The defense provided excellent coverage. After a short throw from the Cougar QB, Nathan Barkley intercepted the ball. He quickly went down, securing the Trojans’ victory with a final score of 22-21.

“After Nathan’s interception, I was ecstatic. I was thrilled because it meant that we had not only won one game but two,” said Beeman.

“This was especially significant after enduring a 20-game losing streak. Even though the win was hard-fought, I believe the team did well in the second half. We could have improved our performance in the first half, but that’s what practice is for. We keep getting better, preparing to win more of our future games.”