Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Harmonizing Success

The Multifaceted Benefits of Band Classes in School
Band+director+Mr.+Roble+leads+the+marching+band+during+a+parade.+
Band director Mr. Roble leads the marching band during a parade.

Band classes empower students to explore and appreciate music and musical instruments beyond the classroom. Those involved in the music program often showcase their talents in concerts, marches, parades, and public events.

“Band offers varying levels of involvement, from elective classes to after-school activities and performance opportunities,” says senior Bradan Depner.

Playing an instrument serves as a stress reliever with therapeutic benefits, aiding psychological and emotional development.

“Music students are more well-rounded and typically score higher on standardized tests because music teaches beyond notes and rhythms,” says band director Mr. Roble.

A significant benefit of band class is the opportunity to develop fine motor skills, especially in instrumentalists, which translates to improved dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and intricate movement patterns in other areas of life.

“There is plenty of research showing that band, music, and the arts are crucial for the growth and development of the whole brain,” says Roble.

In a survey by the National Association for Music Education, students in music programs scored higher in reading, teamwork, and problem-solving skills. Music education positively impacted academic performance, providing a necessary break from the typical school day.

“I enjoy having a low-stress class where I can relax and do something I enjoy,” says Depner.

Band classes enhance creativity and self-expression, allowing students to express emotions, thoughts, and ideas. This skill becomes applicable in various aspects of their lives.

“I think it’s important that a school offers musical programs,” says senior Makayla Rudy. “It offers students a way to express themselves through another form of art.”

Band class promotes teamwork and social skills, fostering collaboration, communication, and support among members, contributing to a sense of camaraderie and friendship.

“Band is important because it encourages teamwork and creativity,” says senior Jacob Stoner.

Participation in band class boosts confidence and self-esteem as students set and achieve personal and group goals, audibly hearing their improvement.

“It’s a good opportunity to learn a new instrument and find a new interest,” says Depner.

Moreover, band classes provide students with a sense of accomplishment, representing the school in public performances, contests, and musical events, contributing to pride and achievement that positively impact academic and personal success.

“It enables students to express themselves creatively through something commonly loved, music,” says Depner.

Band class is crucial in schools, offering benefits beyond music education, developing fine motor skills, teamwork, and communication skills, boosting creativity and self-expression, confidence, fostering a sense of accomplishment, and sparking a lifelong interest in music.