Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Athlete Feature: Izak Lenhart

A Boys Basketball Journey
Athlete Feature: Izak Lenhart

Izak Lenhart, a sophomore at Derry Area High School, has a strong passion for basketball that started when he was just five years old. He joined Derry’s team in seventh grade and has since found solace and creativity in the sport.

“When I play basketball, I don’t have to think; it’s a freeing experience,” said Lenhart.  “My goal is to go to college for basketball, so I practice every day to achieve that.”

Unlike many, Izak keeps a calm demeanor on the court, regardless of the situation. 

“Even when things aren’t going right, I stay focused and keep playing; it doesn’t really get to me,” explained Lenhart. However, he admits that a bad attitude resulting from mistakes could lead to being benched.

Izak not only excels in playing the game but also understands the importance of basketball rules. 

“Even if a rule changes, we’re already giving our best effort, so there’s no room to try harder,” said Lenhart. 

Basketball has not only brought Izak on the court but has also forged lasting friendships throughout his school years. 

“I’ve always had good friendships because of basketball,” Lenhart emphasizes.

As a teenager navigating the path to maturity, Izak credits basketball for helping him become a more calm and respectful individual. 

“In my opinion, it has helped me grow into a more composed and respectful person,” said Lehart.