Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Tuning Travelling Frequency

My family vacation on a Carnival Cruise
Chase Marco
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Taken on October 15th, 2022 First location for the cruise ship, Carnival Sunrise.

On October 10th, 2022, my family embarked on an unforgettable adventure. We set sail on the ‘Carnival Sunrise,’ a Carnival Cruise-line ship from Miami, Florida, stopping at two beautiful destinations, Half Moon Cay and Nassau, during our 4-day voyage. Here’s our story, simplified for the High School Newspaper.

Our journey began with a flight from Latrobe Airport to Tampa, Florida. It was a typical flight, but I passed the time by downloading movies. Watching Ghostbusters at 30,000 feet is certainly an experience.

After a brief layover in Myrtle Beach, we reached Tampa, where we spent three days in a hotel before boarding the cruise on October 13th. The Miami heat was challenging, especially without a car, so my tip is to rent one if you ever go there. Luckily the Cuban inspired pineapple soda, Jupina, helped beat the heat. 

Despite some initial stress, we made it to the cruise ship on time. Boarding wasn’t as smooth as we hoped; it took about 2 hours, and we had to wait extra for our rooms. The added cost of gratuity on drinks caused some family discord, but we eventually settled in.

The real adventure began as we set sail. 

Boarding Day: This day is all about getting acquainted with the ship. We explored the ship’s amenities, found our cramped cabins, and enjoyed the all-you-can-eat food options. We ended the day admiring the ship’s lights against the dark ocean.

Day One: Called “A Day Out at Sea” by Carnival, it’s a day for passengers to enjoy the ship’s offerings. We found entertainment like a DJ, an amazing jazz show, and a poolside movie theater playing “The Batman.”

Day Two (Half Moon Cay): This was the best day of the trip. Half Moon Cay is an astonishingly beautiful place with clear waters, flour-like sand, lush greenery, and amazing marine life. The only downside was the limited time we had, but we made the most of it by enjoying the beach and some non-alcoholic drinks.

The souvenir shops and buffet on the island were somewhat underwhelming, so we opted to collect our own keepsakes like seashells and sand from the beach.

This vacation created unforgettable memories. We hope to sail on another Carnival Cruise someday and return to a place as beautiful as Half Moon Cay. Until then, we’ll cherish these memories.

View Comments (1)