Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Crafting Lasting Legacies

The Art of Choosing the Perfect Senior Quote

Senior year is a time of reflection, celebration, and excitement as students prepare to graduate from high school and move on to the next chapter of their lives. One of the most memorable parts of senior year is the yearbook, which captures the memories and experiences of the graduating class. A popular tradition in high school yearbooks is the senior quote, where each graduating student gets a chance to share a short message or piece of wisdom that reflects who they are and what they’ve learned.

“It’s your final impression,” says senior Jacob Stoner. “It’s a way for people to remember you.”

Senior quotes can range from funny and lighthearted to serious and inspirational, but they all have the power to capture a moment in time and leave a lasting impression. Here are some tips for choosing the perfect senior quote for your high school yearbook.

“The hardest part is coming up with a quote that you won’t look back on and regret,” says Stoner.

Be yourself. Your senior quote should be something that reflects who you are and what you stand for. Don’t pick a quote just because it sounds cool or you think it’s what people want to hear. Choose something that resonates with you personally and represents your individuality.

“They are a cool opportunity for seniors to get their last words in,” says Makayla Rudy. “The hardest part is finding a quote you genuinely want people to look back at and associate with you for the rest of your life.”

Keep it positive. Your senior yearbook is a memento that you and your classmates will look back on for years to come, so it’s important to choose a quote that is uplifting and positive. Avoid anything that is negative or offensive.

“The quotes offer a final goodbye for the seniors,” adds Bradan Depner. “I was having a difficult time choosing one. I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to say.”

Make it memorable. Your senior quote should be something that people will remember. Whether it’s a quote from your favorite author or a clever pun, choose something that stands out and makes people take notice.

“They describe a person’s personality and give it a sense of originality,” says Brennen Aliff.

Include your future plans. Many seniors choose to include their future plans in their senior quote, whether it’s going to college, joining the military, or pursuing a career. This is a great way to show your classmates and teachers what you have planned for the future.

“Choosing a senior quote is deciding what message I want to leave behind to others,” says Depner.

Get creative. Your senior quote doesn’t have to be a traditional quote. You can also choose a song lyric, movie quote, poem, or any other type of text that resonates with you.

“I want it to be something original,” says Rudy.

Remember, the goal of your senior quote is to leave a lasting impression and capture a moment in time. Whether you choose a funny quip or a thoughtful message, your quote will be a reflection of who you are and what you stand for.