Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Rethink Apple Emergency SOS

Addressing the Rising Issues of False Alarms and Accidental Calls
The Washington Post

Apple’s recent additions to its products, like the dash detection and emergency features on the iPhone and Apple Watch, have caused an increase in emergency service calls. This surge is due to false alarms that divert attention from genuine emergencies. For instance, in New York’s Greene County, the 911 center experienced a 22% rise in hang-up calls, open lines, and misdialed 911 calls compared to the previous year.

California’s police department is feeling the pressure from false alarms triggered by Apple Watches. Dispatchers at the Elk Grove California Police Department have received almost 1,600 emergency calls from a local Apple repair and refurbishment facility, sometimes hearing the background noise of repair technicians. This issue isn’t unique to Elk Grove; according to Newsweek, Apple Watch owners in Michigan, Northern California, and other parts of California have accidentally triggered the emergency SOS feature, resulting in an average of 20 accidental calls to departments daily.

Many workers have unknowingly called emergency services numerous times during their workday due to their phones in their pockets. Some people even remove their Apple Watches before sleeping to avoid accidental calls. Unfortunately, students are using this feature to prank their classmates.

Despite its effectiveness in genuine emergencies, the emergency SOS feature also has drawbacks. Accidental SOS calls can hinder others from receiving help when needed. Some critics argue that the alarm should be silent, as an audible alarm may not deter a wrongdoer and could worsen the situation in an emergency.

Apple Watch and iPhone users can adjust their emergency SOS settings, requiring them to drag a slider or press the side button rapidly to make an emergency call, rather than it happening automatically. Users can also choose between an audible or silent alarm. While this can reduce false calls, it may create an extra barrier in life-or-death situations, which some might not want to risk.

Although Apple’s emergency SOS feature is invaluable, the company needs to find a way to minimize accidental calls without compromising its usability.