Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Transforming Stereotypes

Redefining Disabilities through Special Effects
Transforming+Stereotypes

As Halloween draws near, people worldwide eagerly prepare their favorite costumes, often spicing things up with special effects makeup to add a spooky twist. This makeup can help transform enthusiasts into beloved movie characters like the Joker or Deadpool. Some may argue it’s insensitive to individuals with disabilities, but this notion couldn’t be more misguided.

Sophomore Rissa Loucks defends the idea, stating, “Halloween costumes often take inspiration from movies,” emphasizing that it’s not about poking fun at anyone.

In fact, individuals with disabilities should embrace special effects makeup in films and costumes, using it as a tool to highlight their unique abilities instead of perpetuating stereotypes. While certain older films may have portrayed villains as disabled, modern movies challenge these stereotypes by showcasing people who triumph over their disabilities.

Loucks expands on this, saying, “It’s important not to let guilt hold people back from enjoying themselves and, instead, normalize disability rather than imitate it.”

Special effects makeup can mimic various disabilities, from recent injuries to burns and scars. Whether it’s for Halloween or a high-budget film, it’s a fantastic way to shed light on the diversity of disabilities, fostering inclusivity and creativity.

However, it’s crucial to employ special effects makeup respectfully and accurately. When portraying a character with a specific disability, avoid creating a caricature and take the portrayal seriously while still having fun and exploring your creativity.

Sophomore Brady Aliff echoes this sentiment, noting, “People sometimes misinterpret things that aren’t meant to be offensive.”

The use of special effects makeup in films and Halloween costumes provides a platform to celebrate the uniqueness and the various ways in which people overcome disabilities. It’s not about dehumanizing or categorizing those with disabilities but empowering them to embrace this expressive art form.