Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Rethinking the School Week

The Case for Four Days of Learning

In recent times, approximately 900 school districts have boldly waved goodbye to the traditional five-day school week, opting for a four-day alternative that challenges the status quo of education. This innovative approach offers a myriad of potential benefits that could reshape the way students and teachers experience learning.

One of the most promising advantages of a four-day school week is the potential for increased student attendance. Numerous studies have pointed to a notable boost in attendance rates when students have the luxury of a three-day weekend. This extra day off not only allows for much-needed rest but also provides valuable time for recovery from the demanding school week.

Teachers, too, stand to benefit from the shorter school week. An additional day provides them with crucial time to grade assignments, design new lesson plans, and generally stay on top of their work. Reduced stress levels can lead to more effective teaching, and it might even make schools more attractive to potential educators.

The financial aspect of a four-day school week cannot be overlooked. Schools can significantly reduce expenses by cutting out one day each week, leading to savings in transportation, food services, and energy costs. These saved resources can be allocated to other valuable initiatives, such as funding class trips or investing in classroom materials.

Addressing the pervasive issue of bullying is another noteworthy advantage of this model. Bullying can profoundly impact a student’s mental health and overall well-being, contributing to absenteeism. Research from the Center for Educational Policy Analysis indicates that the four-day school week can reduce bullying incidents per pupil by approximately 31%. This dramatic decline promises improved experiences for both students and school staff.

Moreover, a four-day school week offers the flexibility to schedule doctor, dentist, or any other necessary appointments without missing school. While doctor’s notes may not officially count toward attendance, many students depart for appointments during school hours and never return for the day. The fourth day off eliminates this issue, ensuring that students can attend to their health needs without missing valuable schoolwork.

Challenges do exist, particularly for elementary students whose parents may struggle to align their work schedules with the altered school week. Nevertheless, for middle and high school students, the four-day school week may foster a sense of responsibility and independence, preparing them for life beyond the classroom.

By potentially increasing student attendance, reducing stress for teachers, saving school resources, combating bullying, and accommodating health appointments, I believe that the idea of a four-day school week has more pros than cons, and it can change students’ lives for the better.