Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Stop 4-Day School Weeks

Impacts and Considerations for Families

In the United States, 25 states have embraced the concept of a 4-day school week, hoping to address teacher shortages and budget constraints. An analysis by the Economic Commission of the States found these savings to be modest, ranging from 0.4% to 2.5% of annual budgets.

Many families rely on schools aligning with their 5-day work week to avoid childcare costs. Despite this challenge, some schools, such as Oregon State University and an Oklahoma high school, have reported positive outcomes. Oregon State saw improved graduation rates, while the high school noted reductions in fighting and bullying.

However, to make 4-day school weeks effective, the average school day must be extended by 90 minutes. This change affects students of all grades, including those with disabilities and shorter attention spans. Furthermore, it impacts after-school sports and extracurricular activities, adding to students’ already significant stress.

Balancing school, sports, homework, and family time can be overwhelming. With students dedicating 5 to 20 hours a week to sports, the additional 90 minutes may impede their performance and family life.

School districts must also consider the needs of less privileged students who rely on school meals. An extra day off presents challenges in ensuring these students are cared for and fed.

Around 65% of American households have both parents employed, making child care an expensive concern. This shift to a 4-day school week exacerbates these challenges for working parents.

Critics argue that the policy negatively impacts students, potentially leading to more juvenile delinquencies. Research indicates small differences in test scores for students who attend school four days a week, particularly those who excelled in pre-kindergarten assignments.

Some families see benefits in the policy, offering more family time and flexibility. However, others feel overwhelmed by the need to keep their children entertained while they work, reminiscent of the COVID-19 shutdown.

As more schools adopt the 4-day school week, it’s essential to weigh the stress on working parents, academic performance, and students engaged in sports.