Breaking News
  • January 8Grandview PTO is selling Trojan Head Charms for your Crocs! $5 each. See Mrs. Hemminger in the high school office to purchase yours today!
  • October 18Students staying after school for any practice or after school activity must be with the supervisor or person responsible for the event from the end of the school day until the end of the practice/event
Student Newspaper of Derry Area High School

The Station

The Station

The Station

Changes to FAFSA

High school seniors are deciding how and where they want to spend their time after their high school years but it’s important to know how to pay for it. One way to plan on paying for it is with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is an application that every senior should fill out to see if they qualify for financial aid. 

With the new update, the class of 2024 should have it easier than in the years past. The application will be going from 108 questions to only 36, and the time for application will be rolled out in December. 

Along with the application being filled down, the Department of Education is also changing the formulas to decide who will qualify for financial aid and how much money they will receive. 

But there are some complications to it. Since the application will be released later than usual, students will have less time to complete it. There are also new formulas that emphasize wealth instead of cash flow. This change can affect families who have more than one child or who own a small business by giving them less money.

Overall, the goal is to make the process easier for students who need it. To access the form and begin the process, please visit https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa