KIND Closet Open House

Saturday, December 10th from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.

Students+sort+clothes+in+KIND+closet+in+preparation+for+Saturdays+big+open+house.+

Students sort clothes in KIND closet in preparation for Saturday’s big open house.

The KIND Closet run by Ms. Smolleck is holding an open house this Saturday, December 10th from 9:00 to 1:00 where people from the community can come in for anything they need when it comes to clothing, shoes, children’s toys, and other valuable donations obtained throughout the year. 

The KIND closet, which stands for Kids In Need (in) Derry, was started by students for a senior project.  It was then morphed into a coat closet.  Followed by that, it became the KIND closet that the students at Derry Area High School know it as today. You can find just about anything in the KIND closet for any of your needs.

“It’s there for kids who forgot their gym clothes or don’t have money to buy new shoes,” explains Ms. Smolleck.

KIND has been doing things behind the scenes since Smolleck took it over last school year after Mr. McCleary retired.

“He needed someone to take it over so I was like alright I’ll take this over,” exclaims Smolleck.  “I like helping people. ”

The closet now supplies menstrual products, body sprays, and makeup wipes in KIND carts in the girls’ bathrooms.

“No one wants to walk the whole way to the nurse for that stuff,” says Ms. Smolleck  “I’ve been in that situation before where I had to call my dad to bring in clothes.  It’s not fun.”

In the near future, Ms. Smolleck hopes to have the KIND Closet open one day a week for people to shop or hang out. Ms. Smolleck hopes KIND becomes very popular and that the students will have a bigger part in running it.  She hopes to start an actual KIND Club to help it gain popularity.  

“Next step is starting a club and more community outreach,” explains Ms. Smolleck.  “I want students to run it.  It’s yours.”

Since school started, students have been getting passes and helping Ms. Smolleck get the room ready for the open house. What once started as just a vacant room, is now shelves upon shelves of items ready to be taken for community members and students in need. A lot of work has gone into this endeavor and the school hopes that it grows in momentum when it comes to use and meaning.

“I know it has a good purpose, and I hope students understand it’s meant to benefit them,” says Ms. Smolleck. 

“I hope we have a really good turnout from the community.”